|Isole Far Oer||0,375||0,750||1,125||1,125||2,750||6,125|
Click on the various tabs to see the other 5 year groupings.
What is The UEFA coefficient?
The UEFA coefficient, is one of the most important mechanism in European football. The coefficient is the one and only way nations are assigned a certain number of teams per each UEFA competition.
For instance, as of the moment I’m writing this:
- England, Spain, Germany and Italy can register 4 teams in the Champions League and 3 in Europa League with one team passing through the EL qualifying rounds.
This is the maximum number, in normal conditions, that any given nation can qualify for UEFA cup competitions. Those nations ranked 5th or lower in the UEFA coefficient will be assigned a less slots according to their position.
How Can You Gain or Lose Positions?
The process is a little complicated but I’ll try to be as clear as possible explaining this. Each nation gathers points through its teams that play in the Champions League and Europa League. Every match played will bring points to the national coefficient. The points system works as follows, each team is:
- Gets 2 points for a Group Stage or Knock out stage Win in the Europa League or Champions League
- Gets 1 point for a Group Stage or Knock out stage draw in the Europa League or Champions League
- Gets 0 points for a Group Stage or Knock out stage defeat in the Europa League or Champions League
For the qualifying rounds the teams are only assigned half points, so:
- 1 points for a Win in the Europa League or Champions League qualifying round games
- 0,5 points for a draw in the Europa League or Champions League qualifying rounds
- And of course 0 points for a defeat
The points that all the teams of a given nation gather are summed up and then devided by the maximum number of teams that given nation can qualify to UEFA competitions. Let’s look at an example. England can qualify a maximum of 7 squads to UEFA competitions, which means that the point will have to be devided by 7. This will happen even in the case England has 4 teams left in the competitions in a latter stage of the season.
Each nation’s coefficient is grouped in 5 year block and according to the total points placed in the ranking. Accordin to the position the number of teams that is qualifiable to the european competitions.
If a nations overtakes another the change in gained/lost teams in the UEFA competitions will be applied starting from 2 seasons later.